Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First Report : on the first, critcal vote in remaining traditional

Last night the Assembly rejected a vote to require a two-thirds majority to change our ELCA ministry standards (those standards currently reject the ordination and service of actively partnered gay and lesbian pastors). The effect of that is that it will now only take a 50% majority plus one vote to change our church's rosters and permit the ordination of partnered gays and lesbians.
The vote to reject the higher standard of vote (2/3, not 50%) was 584 - 436.
That's really indicative of where the voting members of this Assembly stand on this issue ..........
and I assume that the change of our ministry standards to incude active gays will pass by about the same margain.
Which puts me, our Synod, and our traditional congregation in the minority in the ELCA.

More later today on this issue and on what all is going on here. Trust me, it's fascinating. Not always comfortable, but fascinating.
Now that I've found the email center at the Assembly, I can get here and share with you more of what is being said and decided.
Later, gator.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like it's all over but the shoutin'. I think the only question left is, "Lord, to whom shall we go?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judith,
    Where are you seated? Are you near a microphone?
    Just thought I'd keep my eyes "pealed" if you and the other SW PA Synod members are "near" a microphone? This just makes me feel more like I am there.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, we're not far (behind by 4 tables) from microphones 11 and 12. Bishop Kusserow is sitting on the aisle and I'm next to him.

    Gary,
    It is distressing to discover that, at least at this assembly, the tradtional understanding of sexuality and marriage are in the minority. I guess SW Pennsylvania is behind the times ..... for which I am grateful
    We'll see what happens here and will talk more at home.

    ReplyDelete